Frequently Asked Questions About Juvenile Law

Se Habla Español

Call Today for a Free Consultation


1100 Summer Street, Stamford, CT 06905

Frequently Asked Questions About Juvenile Law in Connecticut

Get Answers to Your Juvenile Law Questions from an Experienced Stamford CT Attorney

Frequently Asked Questions About Juvenile Law

Up to what age is considered a juvenile in Connecticut?

- In Connecticut you are considered a juvenile up to and including age 16. Effective 1/1/11, the age of a juvenile goes up to also include 17 year olds. Once you are 18 years of age, Connecticut law considers you to be an adult.

Will my child be placed into an adult jail?

- No. By law, juvenile facilities are maintained separate and apart from regular adult criminal matters.

Will this arrest negatively impact my child’s ability to get into college or find employment in the future?

- In most cases no. Although the juvenile matter is technically confidential, particular care must be taken to insure that the final resolution of the case will not impact any future school or employment opportunities. This is why it is of utmost importance to seek competent legal assistance immediately.

What is the maximum sentence my child could receive?

- Depending on the severity of the offense, the juvenile could be transferred to the regular criminal docket for treatment as an adult. Within the juvenile system the maximum sentence for serious felony charges known as serious juvenile offenses is a commitment to the state for placement outside out your home for a term not to exceed four years. For most other charges, the maximum sentence is a commitment for eighteen months.

Does my child have the right to be represented by legal counsel?

- Yes. The juvenile has the right to be represented at all states of the proceeding. It is of crucial importance that the juvenile be apprised of his or her legal rights at the earliest possible time in order to avoid further harmful effects of the process on his or her future. Call the Law Offices of Daniel P. Weiner for a free consultation immediately.