Se Habla Español

Call Today for a Free Consultation


1100 Summer Street, Stamford, CT 06905

Can I Get My Child’s Criminal Record Expunged in Connecticut?

 Posted on March 23,2021 in Juvenile Crimes

Stamford CT juvenile defense attorneyAs a parent, it can be extremely disheartening to watch your child make bad decisions. This is especially true if your child makes a mistake that leads to criminal charges. If your son or daughter has been convicted of drug possession, driving under the influence of alcohol, assault, theft, or another offense, you may worry about how this will affect the rest of their life. You may worry about your child being labeled a criminal for something that they did when they were very young. Fortunately, you may be able to get your child’s record expunged.

Expungement and Sealing of a Juvenile Record

Juvenile criminal cases are handled differently depending on the severity of the crime, the juvenile’s age, and other factors. If your child’s case was decided in juvenile court, they are a “juvenile offender” or “juvenile delinquent.” This is not the same as being convicted of a crime in the way that adult offenders are convicted of a crime. Juvenile offenses or “delinquencies” may be expunged if:

  • The juvenile is 18 years old or older.

  • The applicable time period has passed since they were discharged. This is typically two years for a non-serious offense or four years for a “serious juvenile offense” including felony drug manufacture or distribution, manslaughter, home invasion, and several other offenses.

  • There is no current criminal proceeding pending against the juvenile.

  • The juvenile has not been convicted of a crime since being discharged.

If your child’s case is expunged, any records of their arrest and court involvement are erased. Per Connecticut law, you may be able to have your child’s record expunged before the two- or four-year waiting period passes if you can show good cause.

Youthful Offenders or Offenders Charged as Adults

Juvenile cases in Connecticut are sometimes moved to adult court. If your child’s case was adjudicated in adult court and they are considered a “youthful offender,” their record can be erased if they complete the court-ordered supervision or commitment, are at least 21 years old, and have not been convicted of a felony since the offense. If your child was tried and convicted as an adult, they must follow the same procedures for record expungement or sealing as an adult criminal offender would.  

Contact a Fairfield County Juvenile Offender Lawyer

If you want to learn more about sealing or expunging your child’s record, contact the Law Offices of Daniel P. Weiner. Stamford criminal defense attorney Daniel P. Weiner has served the Connecticut community for over 40 years. Our team can provide dependable legal support and aggressive advocacy in juvenile or adult criminal cases. Call 203-348-5846 for a free, confidential consultation.



Share this post: