Se Habla Español

Call Today for a Free Consultation


1100 Summer Street, Stamford, CT 06905

Will Your Child Go to Jail If They Are Accused of a Crime?

 Posted on January 18,2024 in Juvenile Crimes

CT defense lawyerIf your child is accused of a crime, it is possible that he or she may be sent to juvenile detention. However, your child must be at least 10 years old to be tried in juvenile court

If law enforcement does decide to charge your child with a crime, there are several options that may be explored in lieu of detention. A Stamford, CT, Juvenile Defense Attorney can provide an overview of alternative forms of rehabilitation in Connecticut’s youth justice system.

Juveniles and the Court System

Connecticut law recognizes three forms of youth offenders:

  • Juvenile delinquents: Youths under the age of 16 who violate a federal law, state law, or local ordinance
  • Serious juvenile offenders: Youths who may be tried as adults for committing serious juvenile offenses
  • Youthful offenders: Youths between the ages of 14 and 18 who violate the law are given this special status

According to CGS § 54-76b, youths 16 and 17 years of age will be tried as adults, no matter the crime they committed. Children younger than 14 years old will not be tried as adults, regardless of the crime

However, there are circumstances in which a youth who is 14 years old can be placed on the regular criminal docket, including:

  • If your child is charged with a Class A felony other than murder
  • If your child is charged with a Class B or Class felony with a prior record
  • If your child is deemed a danger to society

The moment your child is arrested, you will want to contact a Fairfield County juvenile defense attorney who understands young adult matters.

What Happens Following an Arrest?

If your child is arrested, there are several options available:

The Police May Refer Your Child to a Juvenile Review Board 

A Juvenile Review Board (JRB) may be available in your town, or a similar service may be provided by your community. You will need to appear with your child. If your child admits wrongdoing and the JRB sees that you are cooperating, the board will offer services to help your child

JRB is a service that is offered in Connecticut and prevents your child from having a juvenile record.

The Police May Issue a Summons

Youths who commit crimes are not always taken into custody, read their rights, or have a police photograph or fingerprints taken. If your child is issued a summons, he or she must appear in court on a certain date, accompanied by a guardian or parent

The Police May Release Your Child

Law enforcement may release your child to a suitable guardian or parent. The police officer may still issue a summons, which means that your child must appear in court on a certain date.

If your child does not appear in court, your child may be charged with Failure to Appear. At this time, a judge could issue a warrant for your child’s arrest, which could result in your child being placed in juvenile detention

Contact a Stamford, CT, Juvenile Defense Attorney Today

You worry about your child all the time, especially if your child or teenager ends up on the wrong side of the law. If your child is facing criminal allegations, you need a Fairfield County, CT, juvenile defense attorney who knows how the court system works for youth offenders. Contact Law Offices of Daniel P. Weiner today online or by calling 203-348-5846 to schedule your free consultation

Share this post: